How we celebrated.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Shawn's 24th birthday was simple and wonderful.
IMG_5324

It started out with breakfast together and opening a few presents. We have started a little tradition of giving each other 3 gifts for each holiday: something to read, something to wear, and something to "play with." (I think the original idea was for kids' gifts, but it works for adults too!)

IMG_5322

Something to read: a juicing book.
Something to wear: new cologne.
Something to play with: the new iPhone (probably his favorite).

IMG_5319

IMG_5320

In Germany, where Shawn was born and raised, December 6 is a national holiday called Nikolaustag or "St. Nicholas Day." It's not just a day to celebrate Santa as we Americans might be prone to think. In Germany, children place one pair of shoes or boots outside their front door on the evening of December 5. In the morning, the shoes are filled with candy (if the children have been nice). :) Because of that, Shawn's birthday will always require a little candy.
IMG_5326

I went off to school and Shawn went off to work where he was celebrated by cards and a cake (so sweet!). Then that evening for dinner, Mom and Dad treated us to yummy steaks and more gifts!

IMG_5327
IMG_5329
"24" - both of our age, for a couple more months!
The best gift, though, was the one God surprised us with the morning of his birthday. We looked out our front door and saw this: the most gorgeous sunrise we've ever seen. I didn't edit these photos at all.

IMG_5312
IMG_5315
IMG_5313

7 comments:

  1. SOUNDS like it was just awesome! Now THAT was a SUNRISE! GOD'S GIFT TO HIM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 3 gift idea of something to read, something to wear, something to play with... such a good idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love the three gift idea! And the anthropologie mugs. My favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God gifts the best gifts and you sure do wrap a pretty one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your husband that shares my birthday! I was raised Catholic so I've always loved that my birthday falls on Saint Nicholas Day which is my saint as well as my father's and second older brother's (my middle name is Nicole). Never did anything to celebrate that, I've just always loved that little coincidence. Anyway, happy birthday to Shawn and congratulations on getting in to nursing school!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan